Pardo Public Adjusters

Flood Damage

Flood Damage


Did you know that the most common natural disasters in the United States are floods? It is important to note the differences between water damage and flood damage as they are different from each other. Flood damage takes places when a storm surge happens and water comes rushing into your home or commercial property from the outside. Storm surge occurs when an abnormal rise of water is generated by a storm, over and above the predicted astronomical tides, according to the National Hurricane Center. It is important that you seek the necessary help if your home or property is affected by flood damage.

The last notable hurricane in Florida was Hurricane Ike, which made landfall as a Category 2 hurricane near the north end of the Galveston Bay area near Texas. According to the National Hurricane Center, there were storm surges of 15-20 feet above normal tide levels and Hurricane Ike caused an estimated $24.9 billion in property damage. The vast majority of south Florida is about or near sea level. Flood damage should be insured and you should file a claim with Pardo Public Adjusters if you are a victim of such devastating and disheartening circumstances.

The two most common reimbursement methods for flood claims are Replacement Cost Value (RCV) and Actual Cash Value (ACV), according the National Flood Insurance Program. The RCV is the cost to replace damaged property. It is reimbursable to owners of single-family, primary residences insured to at least 80% of the building’s replacement cost according to the NFIP. Just a few inches of water from a flood can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage and about 25% of claims that are filed fall outside of the mapped flood zones, according to the NFIP. Only one-third of those claims filed receive Federal Disaster Assistance for flooding. Florida leads the nation in the number of flood policies, according to the NFIP, with about 2.0 million policies in force in 2013. Make sure that your business or residence has insurance for flood damage. If you live in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) or high-risk area and have a Federally backed mortgage, your mortgage lender requires you to have flood insurance, according the NFIP. Call Pardo Public Adjusters to get started with the claims process.

For more information or to receive help with your claim, please call us at 786-242-0035 or send us an email at